A {Before & After} Project...

Friday, September 16, 2011

I mentioned earlier that my husband is away on a "fishing" trip.  Whenever he's out of town for more than a day or two I always seem to find a few around-the-house projects to do.  Last time I re-orgnaized our entire walk-in closet and re-decorated our bedroom.  I have a few projects going on, but nothing that drastic.  I like to do things that involve power tools or spray paint when he's out of town to save him from having the be-jesus scared out of him just thinking about me using those things.  


The first project I tackled was re-doing the desk chair in my daughter's room.  All of her furniture is white and so this chair doesn't really go.  This chair belonged to my husband growing up and we no longer even own the hideous desk that went with it. 
This chair isn't too horrible looking, but it just didn't go with the white furniture and bright pink walls that make my daughter's room so girly.  Plus the fake leather seat had seen better days.  
This project all started when I saw this tablecloth on clearance at Meijer.  It was $3.74 and I knew I could find something to do with it.  This is the perfect time of year to look for summer tablecloths on clearance. Re-covering Halle's chair was the first thing that came to mind.  Plus, I still have 75% of the fabric leftover.  Halle's favorite color is green, and this looked like her style.  All those thousands of hours watching HGTV are finally paying off!!!
The first thing I did was unscrew the fake leather seat from the chair.  I spray painted the chair white with some Krylon Dual Paint that was a primer + white paint.  It was dry in half an hour, which is about how long it took me to re-cover the chair seat.


I left the fake leather underneath the new fabric.  I'm lazy that way and what if I opened a can of worms when I removed it?  I was really just avoiding a new problem.  I attached the tablecloth fabric the way I'd seen a hundred times on HGTV.  I used a staple gun just like the professionals.  The corners were a little tricky but I just kept at it.  I trimmed off the excess fabric, flipped it over and screwed my new seat to the freshly painted chair.  Check it out! 


Most importantly, my daughter loves her new chair.  Maybe now she'll want to do her homework at her desk?  


Fabric can be really expensive.  Whenever I see sheets, tablecloths, curtains, heck sometimes clothes on clearance with a cool pattern, I buy them just for the fabric.  I have a bunch of purse tutorials on my Pinterest board that I'm hoping to use the leftover of this fabric to make a cool tote bag.  There's something about the cooler months that make me want to sew.


Hope you enjoyed today's project.  Have a wonderful weekend!!!

4 comments:

Kim Duran September 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

Love the new chair! I have some outdoor patio chairs that I've been planning on doing the same thing with. Someday, sigh! That green fabric is gorgeous!

Clear and Simple Stamps September 16, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

Umm I love her new chair! :) This is fabulous Dana!!!! I used to have my alcove painted with that bright green with white trim in my office - that chair would have been perfect!

Basement Stamper September 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM  

Wow, this is fab, love what you did with it!

Donna Huisinga September 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

I'm sure your husband doesn't even want to think about you using his power tools while he's gone! Nice chair and the fabric reminded me of your previous background. Love your new header.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP