Frugal Friday - Ink

Friday, June 25, 2010

Hello there!  Today is Frugal Friday.  If you missed my introduction about Frugal Friday, click here to find out what it's all about.  Last Friday I talked about PAPER, and today we are going to talk about INK.

Like I said last week, when I started blogging years ago I loved doing color challenges and of course, I wanted all the colors of ink to go along with all that paper.  Stampin' Up sells ink collections (that is 12 mini ink pads called Ink Spots) in their 4 color families.  Over the course of a year or so, I ended up with 3 sets.  I have Bold Brights, Earth Elements, and Soft Subtles.  I never really fell in love with Rich Regals so I never bought it.  I have been using these Ink Spots for years and have never felt that I didn't have the right color.  I really can't believe how long they've lasted.  It ended up being a great investment.

I realize that this is over $60 of ink.  I was able to spend practically none of my own money by asking for these as Christmas gifts as well as hosting a Stampin' Up party.

I use mostly Papertrey Ink card stock and I have found that I can easily find a similar shade in my Stampin' Up Ink Spots.  Pink Passion pairs well with Raspberry Fizz, Old Olive with Ripe Avocado and so on.  Here's a picture of all inks I need.
You can see my Stampin' Up Ink Spots at the top.  I have Basic Black because it is definitely a color you need.  Versamark for heat embossing.  Jet Black Stazon for permanent black.  I have Papertrey Ink's Vintage Cream and Fresh Snow, which I truly love.  I also have one Distress Ink that I use occasionally.

The only drawback to using Stampin' Up Ink Spots is that they are small.  If you are using a background stamp, it would be difficult to get an even coat of ink on the entire stamp.  For that reason, I have a few full size ink pads from Stampin' Up.
Since we are talking about ink, it's only appropriate to talk about ink cleaners.  I just recently started using a stamp scrub pad.  I used to have cleaner with a dauber tip that I would wipe on the stamp and then wipe off with a paper towel.  It worked fine, but now that I have scrubber, it's so much faster and my stamps look new again.

Also, I wanted to mention embossing powders since I mentioned Versamark earlier.  The only colors of embossing powder that I own is Gold, Clear, and Black.  This works fine for me.  If I ever want to emboss in a color like pink, I would just stamp it first with pink ink and then stamp it again in Versamark (using clear stamps or a stamp-a-ma-jig) and then clear emboss it.  You are left with what looks like pink embossing.

I have not joined the Copic band-wagon yet.  They are really too expensive to even think about.  For now, when I color, I just use good old Crayola markers.  I'm not really into cutesy images or images that require coloring, so I don't have that problem often.

I read recently that Stampin' Up is retiring a bunch of colors.  I have not seen the list yet, I hope it's not too many of the inks I have.  I will most likely replace them with a different brand of ink.   Like I said last week, I never buy the "in colors" from Stampin' Up since they retire so quickly.

Thanks so much for stopping by for the latest Frugal Friday topic.  I hope it was a little helpful for you!  I would love to her any feedback or answer any of your questions.  Thanks!

PS.  Next week's topic will be STAMPS!!!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Hand Me a Stamp June 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

Interesting post! I'm not a big fan of Stampin' Up (just not my style). 99% of the time, I use Distress Inks. I used at least 40% off on each one that I purchased, so that saved a lot of money. It makes me cringe when I see people paying full price for their supplies :)

Judy Miller June 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Great post! I love all the informaion. Now that I think about it, I too only use certain colors of ink and paper. I have a lot of SU ink and paper that I hardly ever use. I have couple of sets of ink spots. I think I'm going to do what you do. I mostly use black and brown and few other colors that I would have the full size stamp pad. Your previous post about paper was great also. I love your ideas. Now that money is tight I need to be more frugal also. I always use those coupons, I save a lot of $$$! Thanks again. Can't wait to read your next Friday post and all your other daily post. You have a great blog. Thanks for the ideas.

Liz S. June 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM  

Hi, Dana,
Yep, you are right about SU retiring about half the colors. Sorry to say, Pixie Pink is one. I hope that refills are available for the other colors you use most. Also, some former in-colors were brought back as part of the color collections - Pacific Point, Ridinghood Red, Pink Pirouette, Wild Wasabi , Soft Sky and River Rock are current again if you still have them. Also, in-colors are now current for two years instead of one.

Awhile ago, Beate Johns did a color comparison of Versamagic chalk inks to SU colors (on her blog.) They are also available in the dewdrop size, making them affordable, to replace any of your SU spot colors.

I really enjoy your work and your blog!

Anonymous June 26, 2010 at 1:32 AM  

I just happened by your blog..I am soo glad I did! I've been stressing over the ink situation. I love PTI's paper, ribbon, buttons and inks that all match.I'm a matchy matchy kinda gal. LOL But PTI announced they will no longer be carrying the ink becasue they've had soo many issues with it. They are hoping they will have "some" colors with a new mfgr by October. Well darn it anyway, I just bought almost all of their ink color pads. Major investment.
I too was recently introduced to SU and I love their ink pads. So I'm gradually building up my supply of their colors in paper and in ink.
Do you by any chance have something printed that shows what PTI colors match SU colors? I'd love to have one if you do.
Thanks so much! Love you blog and I'll be visiting often now that I have found you. I did go back and read your Frugal Friday about the paper. Thanks for that too.
Blessings-Erika

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP