Blogher Book Review: Why Women Need Fat

Wednesday, January 18, 2012



Hello!  I have another book review for you.  I signed up for this book review knowing that I would have issues with it.  Since I started eating a plant-based diet in June, I have read books about nutrition, watched documentaries about nutrition and I'm even attending a cooking class tonight at Whole Foods using recipes from a book promoting a plant-based diet.

In saying all that, I think this book title is misleading.  This book is about why women need a little meat on their bones or why women shouldn't aim to be a stick figure.  The title "Why Women Need Fat" with a picture of chocolate mousse on the cover led me to believe that the author wants you to eat more fats/healthy fats.  This couldn't be further from the truth.  They explain a lot about how your body works and why our nation is two thirds overweight.

This book stresses knowing where your food comes from, which I couldn't agree with more.  I read "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer and The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan and have vowed never to eat meat again.

The one things I really liked about this book is that it stressed your natural weight, not your Hollywood weight.  You want to look heathy, not emaciated.  Stop on over to Blogher Book Club where we'll be talking about this book for the next few weeks.


Have a great day!

2 comments:

Donna Huisinga January 19, 2012 at 11:16 AM  

Dana, I was sorry to read about your problem. Take it easy and heal. Maybe you can find an alternative exercise routine that you will love as much as running that will be better for you--pilates, yoga?

whoistracy January 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM  

I couldn't agree more Dana! I think women (and a lot of men) obsess about some # they think is ideal. When the reality should be to exercise, eat right, and be happy.

So sorry to hear about your back, too. Mine has never been the same since surgery last September. I hadn't heard the "running is bad for your back" spiel yet. Do you run on a treadmill or outside usually?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP