Blogher Book Review...

Thursday, October 6, 2011

How to Be an American Housewife
The next book I am reviewing for the Blogher Book Club is called: How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway.  Based on the title alone, I was intrigued by this book.  I'm a housewife (god, I hate that word) and I sort of thought it would be a hoot to see what I was doing wrong and how I should improve.  Well, that's not really what this book is about.

It's about a woman named Shoko who was raised in Japan, marries and American when Japan was occupied by American soldiers and they move to the United States.  The book takes place in the present day but frequently flashes back to Shoko in Japan with her family and how she came to the present situation.

This book plays off of an actual reference book called How to Be an American Housewife, written in Japanese and English, and is quoted at the end of every chapter.  The purpose of the book was to help Japanese women transition to the American way of life and how to keep their husbands happy.  It was so interesting to me to get a peek into a world that I never even would have given a second thought to.  It was really a great book and I would urge you all to read it.  Already read it?  Join the conversation here!

Have a great day!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP