My journey to running a 5K...

Monday, March 21, 2011

Hey guys!  As some of you know, I ran an official 5K run over the weekend.  Now, I usually don't share too much personal stuff here, but I really want to share this experience with you and also have a record for myself.


I started training on January 11th of this year.  It wasn't a New Year's Resolution or some diet/exercise plan.  I simply started because one of the mom's (Jen) at the kid's school invited me to join her and a couple of her friends at the track on Sunday mornings.  They were training for a half marathon.  I told Jen I would just walk while they ran.  The first time I had so much fun chatting with the girls when they were warming up that I wanted to start running so I could join in on the fun.  


So, I started the program "Couch to 5K".  It's a program that promises you can go from couch potato to running a 5K in 9 weeks.  The program is really awesome.  The first two weeks were pretty easy and then it got harder, but I love a challenge.  I purchased the program on the ipod touch for $1.99.  It tells you when to run and when to walk.  It also posts to Facebook and Twitter when you finish a workout.  I would always post my workouts hoping that people would ask me about it and they really did ask me about it.  Everyone I talked to were so supportive and encouraging.  There were also a lot of people that said that they've always wished they could run.  I was one of those people once, I thought I couldn't physically do it because I would always run out of breath.  If I can do, anyone can do it. 


Then the question, "what 5K are you going to run?" kept coming up.  I hadn't really planned on running one, I just wanted to be able to run on my own.  So, my husband persuaded me to run the Heart Mini Marathon 5K.  


So, the program was 9 weeks long and I was able to run 3.5 miles without stopping or walking when it was over.  It was a slow 3.5 miles, but 3.5 miles nonetheless.  So, I ran that a few times and signed up for the 5K.  I was running 3.5 miles at a time so 3.1 should be a piece of cake, right?


So the 5K was yesterday morning and it was dreary and rainy.  The race started in downtown Cincinnati and headed east along Columbia Parkway for 1.55 miles, you turned around and then ran 1.55 miles back.  Downtown was packed.  There were several races going on, lots of vendor booths, people taking photos, and companies handing out free stuff.  Scott and I made our way to the start line where I stretched out, hooked up my headphones, started "Pump It" by The Black Eyed Peas.  I was ready.  Scott didn't wear headphones, didn't stretch out, didn't have an energy drink (I did), a 5K was child's play for him and he was just there for moral support.  


The gun went off and I was so happy to be a part of it.  It was pretty chaotic in the beginning.  There were people that were walking (right at the start???), people with strollers, groups of people that wanted to stick together, all kinds of people at all kinds of speeds.  I did not train to bob and weave between people.  But, I started off strong (now looking back, I think a little too strong).  I knew that the course was hilly, but I thought it would be one not so steep hill.  It turned out to be three hills that were not so steep, but loooong and then you turned around and did those three hills again.  Needless to say, I thought I was going to die at the halfway point.  I'm so thankful for Scott and his motivating words that didn't let me walk (or curl into the fetal position right then and there).  Seriously love that man.  


I thought the finish line would never appear, but when I crossed it I didn't know weather to cry, to cheer, or curl up in a ball.  I just wanted to get my medal and get out of there.  Finally today it's sinking in.  I did it!  


    Scott & I standing in front of a giant inflatable heart.  No make-up and sweaty!

I've learned a lot about myself during this whole process.  I can do anything I set my mind to.  All things are possible with hard work and a positive attitude.  I'm showing my kids how important it is to exercise and eat right.  We are leading by example.  I'm going to continue running and will keep running 5K's and 10K's.  I have gained a wonderful friend and our kid's are also friends, so it's perfect.  I haven't really lost much weight, which is a bit disappointing.  However I have traded fat for muscle and I am a whole lot less flabby.  I have more energy and confidence.  


Thanks for letting me share my journey with you.  Have a great day!

4 comments:

Nicki March 21, 2011 at 4:50 PM  

That is awesome! What a great journey, and such a wonderful way to be an example. Ok Dana, you may have convinced me to finally get back into running - or well a light jog (baby steps). But congrats again and thank you for sharing. You know, you never truly know how much your story may encourage or inspire someone else to give something new a try...

Basement Stamper March 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM  

What a fabulous story! That is so great to read about and I need to get off my butt and get in gear and do this as it was one of my goals this year that of course I failed at. Awesome job and congrats on finishing the race!

Tamara March 21, 2011 at 11:04 PM  

That is awesome Dana!! Congrats & thank for sharing your story

Donna Huisinga March 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM  

Congratulations! No running for me but I could start walking again. You're an inspiration. Great job.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP