Button Tutorial....and a card...

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Hello! I did not set out to make a tutorial this morning, but I had a happy accident and thought I would share it with you. I wanted to make a card today for yesterday's sketch challenge at SCS and wanted to use Everyday Button Bits. My first thought was to use the apple stem and leaf images and have three "button apples" as my focal point. I searched for some red buttons to use as the apples and couldn't find any that were the right color or the right size. I happened to have a bottle of burgundy nail polish in my craft area. So........I painted my buttons with nail polish!!!!

Here's a brief tutorial:

I found the perfect size buttons to fit my card. They all happened to be white. I made a handle to my fingers wouldn't smudge the polish.Here's what it looked like before:
And here is after. I used Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri in Cinna-snap. It only took one coat and not very long to dry.
Here's the three buttons drying. I like the swirly one the best.
And here is the finished card.
I love these buttons!!!
I hope you enjoyed today's card and mini tutorial. I have so many colors of nail polish. I can't wait to try this 'technique' again!

{You're so sweet}

Stamps: Everyday Button Bits (Papertrey Ink)
Card Stock: Kraft
Patterned Paper: Polar Expression (imaginisce), Domestic Goddess (Graphic 45)
Ink: Ruby Red, Close to Cocoa, Certainly Celery (SU)
Accessories: Scallop Square Punch (SU), Buttons, Nail Polish, Glue Dots, Parakeet Brads (Bazzill), Foam Dimensionals, Circle Punch (SU), Hemp Twine (SU)
Bookmark and Share

14 comments:

Jenna Wunderlich October 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

so cute!! Great job with the buttons they are perfect!

denise;) October 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

That's awesome- they turned out great!!!

Mary Marsh October 15, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

love your card-and what you did with the buttons is so creative

Lynn Mercurio October 16, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

What a great use of all the bottles of left-over nail polish...great results. TFS

Sheila Bennett October 16, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Love your apples!! What a great idea to use nail polish to color them. And your creation of a temporary 'handle' for the buttons is ingenious!

The Ossege Family October 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

YOU ROCK!!!! That is the coolest trick. I LOVE it! Can't wait to try it. The card is super cute too!

JazzyH October 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Very cute!

Anonymous October 17, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

What a great idea, love your blog - added you to my favorites - will check back often.

Dotty October 18, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

Thanks for sharing!! Great idea and great card ~ super cute! :)

Me Myself and I-N-K October 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM  

Dana - this is a great idea! My nail polish has been collecting dust so this is a great way to use them up. Love the card too! Fabulous job!

Alma =)

ellen s. October 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

CLEVER!

Paulina October 22, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

This is just too darn cute! Love that swirly button!

Unknown December 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

Very cute and clever!:)

Diane Gilbert July 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

Dana this is an awesome idea, thanks for the tip! I like the swirly one the best too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Free Blogger Templates Columnus by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP